Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hatsuhana

Seriously, my favorite sushi place in the city. Ever. Usually when my family goes, we sit at the sushi bar. Actually, it's usually just me and my dad. But last weekend, there were 5 of us, so we were forced to sit at a table. better for conversation, not as conducive to chats with the sushi chefs. C'est la vie. Hatsuhana is one of those wonderful, upscale, traditional sushi bars. The wasabi is fresh and hand ground, the fish is flown in fresh from Japan, and the sushi chefs are a blast to talk to. Like all good sushi bars, the meal begins with steaming towels to clean your hands (always nice after a trip on the subway). And like most good restaurants, Hatsuhana starts the meal with an amuse bouche of sorts.

This was a salmon tempura with pickled root vegetables. Not a bad start.
My mom and I shared a seaweed salad.

I'd never tried their seaweed salad before, usually I'll get a sunomono. This was good, but nothing special. What was special, however, was the sushi.

This platter contains (from left to right) jack mackarel, spanish mackarel, toro, red snapper and yellowtail toro. Each piece was exquisite. Melt in your mouth, orgasmically delicious.
We also ordered rolls.

From far to near: spider roll, toro rolls, salmon avocado roll, spicy toro rolls. Yum yum yum!
Last, but not least, scallops.

We had the scallops served on a separate plate because my mom is allergic. These were sweet, fresh (they are live before served) and fantastic! Toro is clearly the fish of choice at Hatsuhana, I have never tasted better quality in my life, but you will not be disappointed with any choice. Long live the sushi bar!

Hatsuhana is located at 17 East 48th St. (between 5th and Madison)
212-335-3345
Reservations recommended, ask for the upstairs sushi bar!

No comments: