Monday, December 10, 2007

The Smith

Friday night - Justin and I were searching for a dinner spot. We were famished, in need of something that will take us immediately. Forget Momofuku Saam bar and their 40 minute wait, we ended up at The Smith - a spot Pizzaria Uno's used to reside in. The Smith does have it's size as an asset. It is large and in charge, yet the style was funky enough to draw us into their lure.
We started with Hungry Teachers - strangely refreshing bourbon cocktails with mint, lime, and lemon.

Satisfied with our cocktails, we ventured to the real menu. The Alsatian pizza with bacon and crema sounded like a winner. I always love bacon. It was indeed the right choice.

And on to the mains. I order the braised short ribs and Justin orderd the pork chop.
My short ribs were unimpressive.

The meat seemed really juicy and tender at first. But upon further chewing, it became dry and overcooked. Justin hypothesized that perhaps it had been cooked poorly and then reheated. Which makes sense considering it didn't take that long for our meal to arrive. But I was sad that they were so unexciting.
Justin's pork chop was better.

It was a huge slab of meat, and it could have used some trimming. However, it was quite flavorful. I probably ate more of Justin's pork chop than I did of my short ribs. And there was still enough to take home as leftovers. Overall, I'd probably return to The Smith for their delicious drinks and perhaps to try some of their much regaled hot potato chips. But probably not my first choice for a full on meal. Unless there were no other comparable options that we could get into on a weekend night.

The Smith is located at 55 Third Ave between 10th and 11th.
212-420-9800

1 comment:

Jen said...

That cocktail sounds interesting and the bacon, oh how I love bacon!