Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sushi Lounge


Admittedly, I am a bit of a sushi snob. But it's not my fault that I practically grew up at a sushi bar. In fact some of my fondest memories of childhood involve sitting at the sushi bar with my dad (as early as my 5th birthday when I was only eating cucumber rolls), talking with Kojima - our favorite sushi chef. We even had a song about him. I spoke Japanese (the most basic) with the staff. Nowadays my dad takes me to Hatsuhana for toro and whatever's fresh from Japan. Unfortunately, my low-paying job does not provide me with enough cash flow for high end sushi. Fortunately for me, I discovered Sushi Lounge. Located on St. Mark's and Avenue A, Sushi Lounge is a fresh, delicious, and cheap alternative for sushi snobs who can't afford the most premium prices. Best of all, if you order more than $20 worth of sushi, they give it to you for 50% off. I swear, people are crazy in the East Village. But that means more sushi for me! On a recent visit (pictured above), my friend and I split five delicious sushi rolls and paid $13 apiece. The spicy tuna is a little heavy on chives, they use a lot of crab stick (unless you request otherwise) and the atmosphere isn't exactly 5 star. But if I have the sushi craving (which is often), and my dad's not footing the bill, Sushi Lounge hits the spot.

Sushi Lounge is located at 132 St. Mark's Place at Avenue A
212-598-1188

No comments: